Are you experiencing lag or high ping while playing Fortnite? The issue might be with your DNS server.
Choosing the right DNS server can significantly improve your gaming experience by reducing latency and providing a more stable connection. In this article, we will explore different DNS servers and find out which one is best for Fortnite.
What is a DNS Server?
Before we dive into the discussion, let’s understand what a DNS server is. DNS stands for Domain Name System, and it is responsible for translating domain names (e.g., www.example.com) into IP addresses (e., 192.168.0.1). In simple terms, it acts as a phonebook of the internet.
The Impact of DNS Server on Gaming
The choice of DNS server can have a significant impact on your gaming experience, including ping time and overall network performance. When you connect to an online game like Fortnite, your device sends requests to the game’s servers to establish a connection. These requests are processed by your DNS server before reaching the game servers.
A slow or inefficient DNS server can cause delays in resolving domain names, leading to higher ping times and increased latency in-game. On the other hand, a fast and reliable DNS server can help reduce these delays and provide a smoother gaming experience.
Popular DNS Servers for Gaming
1. Google Public DNS
Google Public DNS is one of the most popular choices for gamers due to its reliability and speed.
It offers fast response times and has multiple data centers worldwide for improved availability. To use Google Public DNS, set your primary DNS server address to 8.8.8 and secondary address to 8.4.4.
2. Cloudflare DNS
Cloudflare DNS is another excellent option for gamers.
It focuses on privacy and security, while also providing fast performance. Cloudflare DNS can be set up using the primary address 1.1.1 and the secondary address 1.1.
OpenDNS offers various plans, including a free plan suitable for gamers.
It provides additional features like content filtering and malware protection, which can be beneficial for a safer gaming experience. The primary server address for OpenDNS is 220.127.116.11, and the secondary address is 208.220.220.
Changing DNS Server on Your Device
To change your DNS server on different devices, follow these general steps:
- Go to Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network Connections.
- Select your network connection, right-click, and choose Properties.
- Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click Properties.
- Select “Use the following DNS server addresses” and enter the preferred DNS server addresses.
- Click OK to save the changes.
- Go to System Preferences > Network.
- Select your network connection on the left-hand side.
- Click Advanced and go to the DNS tab.
- Add or remove DNS servers by clicking the “+” or “-” buttons.
- Access your router’s settings by typing its IP address into a web browser.
- Look for the DNS settings and enter the preferred DNS server addresses.
- Save the changes and restart your router if necessary.
The Right DNS Server Can Improve Your Fortnite Experience
To conclude, selecting an appropriate DNS server can significantly improve your gaming experience in Fortnite. Servers like Google Public DNS, Cloudflare DNS, and OpenDNS offer fast response times and reliable connections.
By changing your DNS server on your device or router, you can reduce latency, lower ping times, and enjoy a smoother gaming session. Give it a try and see the difference it makes!