The Domain Name System (DNS) is an essential component of the internet infrastructure that translates human-readable domain names into machine-readable IP addresses. Every country has its own set of DNS servers to handle requests for domain names ending with their country-specific top-level domain (TLD). In the case of India, the DNS server for .in domains is managed by the National Internet Exchange of India (NIXI).
What is NIXI?
NIXI, short for National Internet Exchange of India, is a non-profit organization established in 2003 with the objective of facilitating internet exchange point services in India. It operates and manages the .IN Registry, which includes handling DNS services for all .in domain names.
Primary DNS Server
For resolving domain names under the .in TLD, the primary DNS server used in India is ns1.registry.in. This server is responsible for storing and providing information about .in domains and their corresponding IP addresses.
Features of ns1.in:
- Reliability: The primary DNS server ensures high uptime and reliability so that users can access websites without any interruption.
- Performance: It is optimized to handle a significant number of queries efficiently, ensuring fast response times.
- Security: The server implements various security measures to protect against DNS-related threats such as DDoS attacks and cache poisoning.
Secondary DNS Servers
In addition to the primary DNS server, there are multiple secondary servers distributed across different locations in India to provide redundancy and improve overall DNS performance.
Some of the secondary DNS servers for India are:
Configuring DNS Settings on Your Device
To use the Indian DNS servers, you need to configure your device’s network settings to use them. Here’s how you can do it:
- Go to Control Panel and open “Network and Sharing Center”.
- Click on “Change adapter settings”.
- Right-click on your active network connection and select “Properties”.
- Select “Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)” and click on “Properties”.
- Choose the option to “Use the following DNS server addresses” and enter the primary and secondary DNS server addresses provided by your internet service provider or NIXI.
- Click “OK” to save the changes.
- Go to System Preferences and open “Network”.
- Select your active network connection from the left sidebar, then click on the “Advanced” button.
- Navigate to the “DNS” tab.
Add the primary and secondary DNS server addresses provided by your internet service provider or NIXI using the “+”/”-” buttons.
Click “OK” to save the changes.
By configuring your device to use the DNS servers specific to India, you can ensure faster and more reliable resolution of . This can be particularly useful if you frequently access websites hosted in India or need to test local DNS configurations.
In conclusion, NIXI manages the DNS server for India’s .in TLD, with the primary DNS server being ns1. It is crucial to configure your device’s network settings to use these DNS servers for optimal performance and reliability when accessing .