The Domain Name System (DNS) is a crucial component of the internet that translates human-readable domain names into IP addresses, allowing computers to communicate with each other. Each internet service provider (ISP) typically has its own DNS server, and CenturyLink is no exception.
What is a DNS Server?
A DNS server functions as a directory for the internet, translating domain names into IP addresses. When you enter a website’s URL into your browser, your device sends a request to a DNS server to find the corresponding IP address. This process is known as DNS resolution.
CenturyLink provides its customers with a primary and secondary DNS server to facilitate this translation process.
Primary DNS Server for CenturyLink
The primary DNS server for CenturyLink is:
- Primary DNS: 18.104.22.168
Secondary DNS Server for CenturyLink
In case the primary server is unavailable or experiencing issues, you can use the secondary DNS server provided by CenturyLink:
- Secondary DNS: 205.202.166
Configuring CenturyLink’s DNS Servers
To configure your device to use CenturyLink’s DNS servers, follow these steps:
- Open the Control Panel.
- Select “Network and Internet” and then “Network and Sharing Center. “
- Click on “Change adapter settings” on the left-hand side.
- Right-click on your active network adapter and choose “Properties.
- Select “Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)” and click on “Properties. “
- Select “Use the following DNS server addresses” and enter the primary and secondary DNS server addresses provided by CenturyLink.
- Click “OK” to save the changes.
- Go to “System Preferences.”
- Click on “Network.”
- Select your active network connection (Wi-Fi or Ethernet).
- Click on the “Advanced” button at the bottom-right.
- Navigate to the “DNS” tab.
- Add the primary and secondary DNS server addresses provided by CenturyLink using the “+” button.
By configuring your device with CenturyLink’s DNS servers, you can ensure a reliable and efficient browsing experience. Remember, if you encounter any issues with your internet connection, you can always reach out to CenturyLink’s customer support for further assistance.
In conclusion, understanding what a DNS server is and how it works is essential for troubleshooting internet-related issues. By knowing CenturyLink’s primary and secondary DNS servers and how to configure them, you can optimize your internet connectivity. Happy browsing!