When it comes to browsing the internet, we often take for granted the Domain Name System (DNS) server that translates human-readable website names into IP addresses. However, not all DNS servers are created equal.
Some offer faster speeds, better security, and more reliable performance than others. In this article, we will explore the best DNS servers for PC users and discuss their features and benefits.
What is a DNS Server?
Before diving into the best DNS servers for PC, let’s first understand what a DNS server is. In simple terms, a DNS server is like a phone book for the internet. When you type in a website address like www.example.com, your computer sends a request to a DNS server to translate that name into an IP address (e.g., 192.168.1.1), which is the actual location of the website on the internet.
A good DNS server can significantly improve your browsing experience by providing faster response times and better security against phishing attacks and malware.
The Best DNS Servers for PC
1. Google Public DNS
Google Public DNS is one of the most popular and widely used DNS servers worldwide. It offers fast query responses and supports both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses. Google Public DNS also has robust security features that help protect against various online threats.
- Faster response times
- Enhanced security
- No logging or user-tracking
- Potential privacy concerns due to Google’s data collection policies
2. Cloudflare DNS
Cloudflare DNS is known for its emphasis on privacy and performance. It offers fast speeds and advanced security features, making it an excellent choice for PC users who prioritize both speed and privacy.
- Fast and reliable
- DNS over HTTPS support
- Slightly slower response times compared to other DNS servers
OpenDNS is a popular DNS service known for its strong security features and customizable content filtering options. It provides protection against phishing attacks, malware, and botnets, making it an excellent choice for those concerned about online security.
- Enhanced security features
- Customizable content filtering options
- Faster response times compared to many ISP-provided DNS servers
- Limited free plan with more advanced features available at a cost
How to Change Your DNS Server on PC?
To change your DNS server on a Windows PC, follow these steps:
- Open the Control Panel.
- Select “Network and Internet” and then “Network and Sharing Center. “
- Click on “Change adapter settings.
- Right-click on your network connection and select “Properties. “
- Double-click on “Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4). “
- Select “Use the following DNS server addresses” and enter the desired DNS server address.
- Click “OK” to save the changes.
Remember to note down your current DNS settings before making any changes, so you can revert back if needed.
Choosing the best DNS server for your PC can significantly improve your internet browsing experience. Whether you prioritize speed, security, or customization options, options like Google Public DNS, Cloudflare DNS, and OpenDNS offer reliable alternatives to your Internet Service Provider’s default DNS server. Experiment with different servers and find the one that suits your needs best.
Remember to consider factors like response times, security features, and privacy policies when selecting a DNS server. Happy browsing!