When it comes to selecting the best DNS server for Illinois, there are a few factors to consider. The right DNS server can greatly impact your internet speed, security, and overall browsing experience. In this article, we will explore some of the top DNS servers and help you determine which one is best for your needs.
What is a DNS Server?
First, let’s understand what a DNS server is. DNS stands for Domain Name System.
It is responsible for translating domain names (such as www.example.com) into IP addresses that computers can understand. Essentially, it acts as a phone book of the internet.
When you type a domain name into your browser, your computer sends a request to a DNS server to find the corresponding IP address. The DNS server then returns the IP address, allowing your computer to connect to the website you want to visit.
Why Choose a Different DNS Server?
Your internet service provider (ISP) typically provides you with a default DNS server. However, there are several reasons why you might want to consider using a different one:
- Faster Internet Speed: Some third-party DNS servers are optimized for speed and can provide faster response times than your ISP’s server.
- Better Security: Certain DNS servers offer enhanced security features that can protect against phishing attempts and other online threats.
- Bypassing Restrictions: In some cases, using an alternative DNS server can help bypass certain restrictions imposed by your ISP or government.
Top DNS Servers for Illinois
1. Google Public DNS
Google Public DNS is one of the most popular and widely used public DNS servers.
It offers fast response times and robust security features. To use Google Public DNS, simply configure your network settings to use the following DNS server addresses:
Primary DNS: 8.8.8
Secondary DNS: 8.4.4
2. Cloudflare DNS
Cloudflare DNS is another excellent choice for users in Illinois. It prioritizes privacy and offers built-in security features, including protection against DDoS attacks and malware.
Primary DNS: 1.1.1
Secondary DNS: 1.0.1
OpenDNS is a reliable and secure option that provides customizable content filtering and protection against malicious websites.
Primary DNS: 188.8.131.52
Secondary DNS: 208.220.220
How to Change Your DNS Server in Windows?
- Navigate to the Control Panel and open “Network and Internet. “
- Select “Network and Sharing Center. “
- In the left-hand menu, click on “Change adapter settings. “
- Right-click on your active network connection and choose “Properties.
- Select “Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)” and click on “Properties. “
- In the new window, select the option to “Use the following DNS server addresses. “
- Type in the preferred primary and secondary DNS server addresses.
- Click “OK” to save the changes.
Remember to restart your computer or renew your network connection for the changes to take effect.
Choosing the best DNS server for Illinois can improve your internet speed, security, and overall browsing experience. Google Public DNS, Cloudflare DNS, and OpenDNS are all excellent options worth considering.
Take the time to evaluate your specific needs and choose a DNS server that aligns with them. Remember, changing your DNS server is a simple process that can have a significant impact on your internet performance.