A primitive data type in Salesforce refers to the basic or fundamental data types that are supported by the platform. These data types are used to store and manipulate simple values, such as numbers, text, and dates.
Numeric Data Types
There are several numeric data types available in Salesforce:
- Integer: This data type is used to store whole numbers, both positive and negative.
- Decimal: The decimal data type is used to store numbers with decimal places. It is commonly used for monetary values or calculations that require precision.
- Double: The double data type is similar to the decimal type but allows for a wider range of values. It is often used for scientific calculations.
Text Data Types
Salesforce provides several data types for storing text values:
- String: The string data type is used to store alphanumeric characters or text strings.
- Boolean: The boolean data type can only have two possible values: true or false. It is commonly used for storing binary (yes/no) information.
Date and Time Data Types
Salesforce offers specific data types for handling date and time values:
- Date: The date data type represents a specific date without any time information.
- Date/Time: This data type stores both the date and time information.
Miscellaneous Data Types
In addition to the above-mentioned types, Salesforce also supports other data types:
- ID: The ID data type is used to store unique identifiers for records in Salesforce.
- Object: The object data type represents a complex object or record.
In summary, primitive data types in Salesforce are the basic building blocks for storing and manipulating simple values. They include numeric, text, date/time, and miscellaneous types. Understanding these data types is essential for effective development and customization on the Salesforce platform.