What Is Google Public DNS Server?
Google Public DNS is a free Domain Name System (DNS) service offered by Google. It functions as a recursive resolver, translating human-readable domain names into their corresponding IP addresses to facilitate internet connectivity. By using Google Public DNS, you can enhance your browsing experience with faster and more reliable website loading times.
Why Use Google Public DNS?
There are several reasons why you might consider using Google Public DNS:
- Faster Browsing Speed: Google has a vast network infrastructure that can handle high volumes of DNS queries efficiently, resulting in faster website loading times.
- Improved Security: The service includes built-in protection against various types of online threats, such as phishing attacks and malware-infected websites.
- Better Privacy: While some ISPs may track and store your browsing data through their default DNS servers, using Google Public DNS can help protect your privacy by encrypting your queries and limiting the amount of personally identifiable information shared.
How to Set Up Google Public DNS
Setting up Google Public DNS is a straightforward process. Here’s how you can do it:
- Click on the Start menu and open the Control Panel.
- Select “Network and Internet” and then click on “Network and Sharing Center. “
- In the left-hand menu, click on “Change adapter settings. “
- Right-click on your network connection (Ethernet or Wi-Fi) and choose “Properties.
- Select “Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)” and click on “Properties. “
- Check the option “Use the following DNS server addresses. “
- Enter the Google Public DNS IP addresses: Preferred DNS server – 8.8.8; Alternate DNS server – 8.4.
- Click “OK” to save the changes.
Mac OS X
- Click on the Apple menu and go to “System Preferences.”
- Select “Network” and choose your active network connection (Ethernet or Wi-Fi).
- Click on the “Advanced” button and go to the “DNS” tab.
- Click on the “+” button to add a new DNS server.
- Enter the Google Public DNS IP addresses: 8.8 and 8.
Note: It’s recommended to make a note of your original DNS settings before making any changes so that you can revert back if needed.
In summary, Google Public DNS is a reliable and fast DNS service provided by Google that offers numerous benefits such as improved browsing speed, enhanced security, and better privacy protection. By following a few simple steps, you can easily set up Google Public DNS on your device and enjoy a more efficient internet browsing experience.