What Happens if Someone Under 13 Is in My Discord Server?
Discord is a popular platform for creating communities, connecting with friends, and enjoying various activities together. However, it’s important to consider the age restrictions that Discord has in place to ensure the safety and privacy of its users. According to Discord’s Terms of Service, users must be at least 13 years old to create an account and participate on the platform.
Why Does Discord Have an Age Restriction?
Discord’s age restriction is in compliance with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) in the United States. COPPA requires websites and online services to obtain parental consent before collecting personal information from children under 13 years old. By setting an age restriction, Discord aims to protect younger users and their privacy rights.
The Consequences of Having Underage Users in Your Discord Server
If someone under the age of 13 joins your Discord server and you become aware of it, there are several steps you should take to ensure compliance and maintain a safe environment:
- Step 1: Communicate with the underage user privately: Reach out to them via direct message or private chat to inform them about the age restriction policy on Discord. Explain that they need to leave the server due to their age.
- Step 2: Remove the underage user from your server: If they do not leave voluntarily or continue participating despite being informed about the age restriction, you should remove them from your server.
This can be done through the server settings by selecting their name and clicking on “Kick. “
- Step 3: Report underage users if necessary: If you encounter repeated instances of underage users joining your server, you can report them to Discord. Discord takes violations of their Terms of Service seriously and may take appropriate action.
Preventing Underage Users from Joining Your Server
To minimize the chances of underage users joining your Discord server, consider implementing the following measures:
- Require age verification: You can set up a verification system that requires new members to verify their age before gaining access to your server. This can be done using third-party bots or by manually reviewing new member applications.
- Clearly state the age restriction: Include a clear statement about the minimum age requirement in your server rules or welcome message.
This will help inform potential underage users and discourage them from attempting to join.
- Moderate your server: Regularly monitor your server for any suspicious activity or users who may be underage. React promptly by removing them and reinforcing the importance of complying with Discord’s age restriction policy.
The Importance of Compliance
Adhering to Discord’s age restriction policy is not only crucial for legal compliance but also for maintaining a safe environment within your community. Protecting the privacy and safety of all users, especially minors, should be a top priority when managing a Discord server. By taking proactive steps and enforcing the age restriction policy, you contribute to creating a positive and secure space for everyone involved.
Disclaimer: This article is provided for informational purposes only and should not be considered legal advice. Please consult with legal professionals or refer to Discord’s official documentation for specific guidance on handling underage users in your Discord server.