What do you do when your PS4 says a DNS server cannot be used? This error message can be frustrating, but don’t worry, there are a few troubleshooting steps you can take to resolve the issue. In this article, we will walk you through the process of fixing this problem.
Restart Your PS4 and Router
If your PS4 is displaying the “DNS server cannot be used” message, the first step is to restart both your PS4 and router. This simple action often resolves connectivity issues.
To restart your PS4, follow these steps:
- Press and hold the power button on your PS4 until it beeps twice.
- Unplug the power cord from the back of the console.
- Wait for at least 30 seconds before plugging the power cord back in.
- Press the power button again to turn on your PS4.
To restart your router, follow these steps:
- Locate your router and unplug its power cord from the wall outlet or power strip.
- Wait for about 30 seconds before plugging the power cord back in.
- Allow a few minutes for your router to fully reboot.
Check Your Network Connection
If restarting your devices didn’t fix the issue, you should check your network connection settings on the PS4. Follow these steps:
- Select “Settings” from the main menu of your PS4.
- Navigate to “Network” and choose “Set Up Internet Connection”.
- Select either Wi-Fi or LAN cable, depending on your connection type.
- Choose “Custom” when prompted.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to input your network settings. Make sure to select “Automatic” for IP Address and DHCP settings, unless you have specific requirements from your internet service provider.
- When you reach the DNS Settings, select “Manual”.
- Input a primary DNS address (for example, 8.8.8) and a secondary DNS address (for example, 8.4.4).
- Complete the setup process and test your internet connection to see if the issue is resolved.
Contact Your Internet Service Provider
If you’ve followed all the steps above and you’re still experiencing the “DNS server cannot be used” error on your PS4, it might be worth contacting your internet service provider (ISP). They may be able to provide further assistance or identify any network issues on their end.
In conclusion, encountering a “DNS server cannot be used” message on your PS4 can be frustrating, but by following these troubleshooting steps, you can often resolve the issue yourself. Remember to restart both your PS4 and router, check your network connection settings, and reach out to your ISP if necessary. With these steps in mind, you’ll be back to gaming in no time!