Discord has become an incredibly popular platform for gamers and communities to connect and communicate online. If you’re considering setting up your own Discord server, one of the first questions that may come to mind is: Is it free?
Free to Get Started
The good news is that setting up a Discord server is absolutely free. Whether you’re a small group of friends or a large community, you can create your own server without paying any fees upfront.
Creating Your Server
To create a server, simply go to the Discord website and sign up with your email address. Once you’ve completed the registration process, you can start creating your server right away.
Note: Before setting up your server, it’s important to familiarize yourself with Discord’s Community Guidelines. These guidelines outline the behavior expected from users and provide essential information about what is allowed on Discord.
The Basics of Server Setup
When setting up your Discord server, there are a few key elements to consider:
- Server Name: Choose a name that reflects the purpose or theme of your community. This helps users easily identify what your server is about.
- Server Region: Select the region closest to where most of your users are located.
This ensures optimal voice chat quality.
- Verification Level: Decide on the level of security and moderation you want for your server. You can choose between various verification levels depending on how open or restricted you want access to be.
- Welcome Channel: Create a designated channel where new members will be greeted and introduced to your community.
- Text and Voice Channels: Set up channels for different topics or activities. This helps organize conversations and keeps discussions focused.
While Discord offers a free server setup, they also provide additional features through their Nitro subscription. Nitro offers benefits like enhanced audio quality, custom emojis, animated avatars, and larger file upload limits. However, it’s important to note that these premium features are completely optional and not necessary for most server setups.
In addition to Nitro, Discord also offers the option to boost servers. Server boosting is a way for users to contribute towards the growth of a server by providing extra perks such as increased audio quality and improved server customization options. Boosting is done through Nitro or by using Discord’s built-in Currency, which can be earned or purchased.
The Bottom Line: Free with Optional Upgrades
In conclusion, setting up a Discord server is free of charge. You can create a server, invite members, and enjoy various communication features without spending any money. However, if you want additional perks or customization options, you can choose to subscribe to Nitro or boost your server using Discord’s currency.
So go ahead and start building your community on Discord – the possibilities are endless!