Welcome to this comprehensive tutorial on how to create your very own RP (roleplay) server on Discord! In this guide, we will walk you through the step-by-step process of setting up an RP server that will provide a perfect platform for you and your friends to immerse yourselves in exciting roleplaying adventures.
Step 1: Create a New Server
To get started, open Discord and log in to your account. On the left-hand side of the screen, you’ll find a “+” button next to the server list. Click on it and choose “Create a Server” from the drop-down menu.
Note: Make sure you have the necessary permissions to create a new server. If not, contact your server administrator or upgrade your account.
Step 2: Give Your Server a Name
After clicking “Create a Server,” a window will appear where you can name your server. Choose a name that reflects the theme or purpose of your RP server.
For instance, if you’re creating a medieval fantasy RP server, consider something like “Kingdoms of Eldoria. “
Step 3: Customize Your Server
Now it’s time to make your RP server visually appealing and unique. To customize your server’s appearance, click on the down arrow next to your server’s name and select “Server Settings.” Under the “Overview” tab, you can change various settings such as the icon, splash image, and background color.
Setting an Icon:
To set an icon for your server, click on the current icon displayed under “Server Settings > Overview.” Choose an image that represents the theme or logo of your RP community. Remember that it should be no larger than 512×512 pixels.
Setting a Splash Image:
A splash image is displayed when someone joins your server. To set a splash image, click on the “Edit” button next to “Splash Image” under “Server Settings > Overview.”
Select an image that captures the essence of your RP server and click “Open. “
Changing the Background Color:
If you want to change the background color of your server, scroll down to the “Server Theme” section under “Server Settings > Overview.” Click on the color palette icon next to “Background Color” and choose your preferred color from the options provided.
Step 4: Create Channels
Channels play a vital role in organizing discussions and interactions within your RP server. Here’s how you can create channels:
- To create a text channel, click on the “+” button beside the “Text Channels” category.
- Give your channel a name that reflects its purpose, such as “Tavern,” “Quest Board,” or “Character Bios.”
- If desired, you can also set topic descriptions for each channel by clicking on the gear icon next to the channel’s name.
- To create a voice channel, follow the same steps as above but select “Voice Channels” instead of “Text Channels.”
Step 5: Set Up Roles
In an RP server, roles define different character types or positions within your community. Here’s how you can set up roles:
- Under “Server Settings,” click on the “Roles” tab.
- Click on the “+” button to add a new role.
- Name your role (e.g., “King,” “Mage,” “Moderator”) and assign it a color to visually distinguish it from other roles.
- Set the desired permissions for each role to control what members can do within your server.
Step 6: Invite Members
Now that your RP server is set up, it’s time to invite your friends or fellow RP enthusiasts to join the adventure! To invite members:
- Click on the down arrow next to your server’s name and select “Invite People.”
- Copy the generated invitation link and share it with the people you want to invite.
Congratulations! You have successfully created an RP server on Discord.
Now you can start exploring, creating characters, and enjoying immersive roleplaying experiences with like-minded individuals. Have fun!