Creating a private server in the Forest is an exciting endeavor that allows you to customize your gaming experience and play with friends in a private setting. In this tutorial, we will walk you through the step-by-step process of setting up your own private server. Let’s get started!
Step 1: Installing the Forest Dedicated Server
To create a private server, you will need to install the Forest Dedicated Server on your computer. Follow these steps:
- Download the Dedicated Server Software: Visit the official Endnight Games website and navigate to the “Downloads” section. Look for the Forest Dedicated Server software and download it.
- Extract the Files: Once the download is complete, extract the files from the downloaded zip folder to a location of your choice on your computer.
- Configure Settings: Open the extracted folder and locate a file named “dedicated_server_mods_setup.xml”. Open this file using a text editor and modify any necessary settings such as server name, password, and player limit.
Step 2: Port Forwarding
In order for other players to connect to your private server, you’ll need to set up port forwarding on your router. Here’s how:
- Access Your Router’s Settings: Open a web browser and enter your router’s IP address into the address bar. This information can typically be found in the router’s manual or by contacting your internet service provider.
- Navigate to Port Forwarding Section: Look for a section labeled “Port Forwarding” or “Virtual Servers.” The exact location may vary depending on your router model.
- Add a New Port Forwarding Rule: Create a new port forwarding rule by specifying the IP address of your computer and the necessary ports (default: 8766 and 27015) required by the Forest Dedicated Server.
Step 3: Running the Dedicated Server
With the Forest Dedicated Server software installed and port forwarding set up, it’s time to run your private server:
- Launch the Dedicated Server: Navigate to the folder where you extracted the server files. Run the “TheForestDedicatedServer.exe” file to start the server.
- Configure Server Settings: A console window will open, displaying server information. You can modify additional settings by typing commands directly into this console window.
Consult official documentation for available commands.
- Invite Friends to Join: Share your public IP address with your friends so they can connect to your private server. To find your public IP address, simply search “What is my IP?” on any internet search engine.
Step 4: Connecting to Your Private Server
To join your own private server or invite friends, follow these steps:
- Launch The Forest Game Client: Open The Forest game on your computer as you would normally.
- Select Multiplayer: In the main menu, select “Multiplayer” and then choose “Join Game” if you want to join an existing session or “Host Game” if you want to create a new session on your private server.
- Enter Server Details: Fill in the required information, including your server’s IP address and any necessary password. Click “Join” or “Host” to connect to the private server.
Congratulations! You have successfully created your own private server in the Forest.
Now you can enjoy the game with friends in a customized and controlled environment. Remember to follow any applicable rules or guidelines to ensure a fair and enjoyable gaming experience for everyone involved.