Discord is a popular communication platform that allows users to connect through voice, video, and text. With the rise of remote work and online communities, video calling has become an essential feature for many Discord server users. In this tutorial, we will explore how to video call on a Discord server.
Step 1: Creating or Joining a Voice Channel
Before you can start a video call on Discord, you need to be in a voice channel. If you already have a server set up, navigate to the server and find the voice channel you want to join. Simply click on the voice channel name to join it.
If you don’t have a server yet, follow these steps:
- Create a Server: Open Discord and click on the ‘+’ button located on the left-hand side of the app interface. Choose “Create a Server” from the options.
- Name Your Server: Give your server a name and choose an appropriate region for it.
- Create Voice Channels: Once your server is created, click on “Create Channel” at the bottom of the channels list. Select “Voice Channel” from the options and give it a name.
Step 2: Enabling Video
To enable video during your voice call:
- Select Voice Channel: Make sure you are in the desired voice channel where you want to initiate the video call.
- Click on Video Icon: Look for the camera icon located at the bottom left corner of your screen within the voice channel window. Click on it to enable video.
Step 3: Starting a Video Call
Once the video is enabled, you can start a video call:
- Click on User’s Name: On the right-hand side of your voice channel window, you will see a list of users in the channel. Click on the name of the user you want to initiate the video call with.
- Select Video Call: A small window will pop up with various options. Select “Video Call” to start the video call.
Step 4: Adjusting Video and Audio Settings
Once the video call has started, you can adjust your video and audio settings according to your preferences. Discord provides several options for customizing your experience:
- Video Settings: To access video settings, click on the gear icon located at the bottom right corner of your screen during a call. Here you can adjust settings such as camera input, resolution, and frame rate.
- Voice and Audio Settings: Similarly, you can access voice and audio settings by clicking on the gear icon during a call. This allows you to modify microphone input, speaker output, and other related settings.
Tips for a Smooth Video Calling Experience
1. Stable Internet Connection
A stable internet connection is crucial for a smooth video calling experience. Make sure you have a stable and high-speed internet connection to avoid any lag or disruptions.
2. Use Headphones or Earphones
To minimize echo or audio feedback during a video call, it’s recommended to use headphones or earphones instead of relying solely on your device’s speakers.
3. Test Video and Audio Beforehand
Prior to important video calls, it’s always a good idea to test your video and audio settings. This ensures that everything is working properly and allows you to make any necessary adjustments.
4. Mute Yourself When Not Speaking
If you are in a large group call or experiencing background noise, consider muting yourself when you are not speaking. This helps maintain clear audio quality for all participants.
With these simple steps, you can easily initiate video calls on your Discord server and enjoy seamless communication with your friends, colleagues, or community members. Happy video calling!