In this tutorial, we will guide you through the process of setting up an 18+ Discord server. Please note that creating an 18+ server comes with certain responsibilities and guidelines to ensure a safe and respectful environment for all members.
Step 1: Creating a New Server
To create an 18+ Discord server, you first need to have a Discord account. If you don’t have one, head over to the Discord website and sign up for free.
Once you have an account, follow these steps:
- Login to your Discord account.
- Click on the “+” icon located on the left side of the Discord interface.
- Select “Create a Server” option from the drop-down menu.
- Name your server. Choose a name that is relevant and appropriate for your adult community.
- Select a region closest to you for better server performance.
- Click on the “Create” button to finalize server creation.
Step 2: Setting Up Server Rules and Guidelines
To maintain a healthy and respectful environment within your 18+ Discord server, it is crucial to establish clear rules and guidelines. Here’s how you can add rules:
- Navigate to your newly created server on Discord.
- If you’re not already in the server, click on the downward arrow next to its name in your sidebar and select it from the list.
- Name the role as “Rules” or any other appropriate name.
- Select a color for better visibility (optional).
- Toggle off all permissions for this role by unchecking all checkboxes.
- Click on “Save Changes” to create the role.
Your rules-specific role has been created. Now it’s time to add rules and guidelines:
a. Adding Rules Channel:
- Create a new text channel specifically for posting your server’s rules and guidelines by clicking on the “+” button next to “Text Channels.
- Wrap the important rules in double asterisks like **this**.
- Wrap the rules that require extra attention in double underscores like __this__.
- Create a list of rules using bullet points by placing each rule on a new line preceded by a hyphen (-).
Note: Consider naming this channel something like “#rules” or “#guidelines” for clarity.
b. Formatting Rules:
In this channel, you can use various formatting options provided by Discord’s text editor, such as:
c. Posting Rules:
Once you have formatted your rules using the provided options, post them in the newly created channel. Make sure to pin the message for easy access and visibility.
Step 3: Age Verification and Access Control
To ensure that only users who are above 18 years of age can access your server, you can use bots or manual verification methods. Here are two common approaches:
a. Age Verification Bot:
You can use popular Discord bots such as “YAGPDB” or “Dyno” to set up an age verification system. These bots allow users to verify their age by entering their birthdate in a specific format.
b. Manual Verification:
If you prefer manual verification, you can ask your users to provide proof of their age through private messages. Once verified, assign them an appropriate role (e.g., “Verified Adult”) that grants access to the rest of the server.
Congratulations! You have successfully created an 18+ Discord server and set up rules, guidelines, and access control measures. Make sure to regularly monitor the server to maintain a safe and respectful community.