Discord is a popular platform for gamers and communities to come together and communicate. One essential aspect of setting up a Discord server is creating a unique server icon.
The server icon is not only a visual representation of your server but also helps users easily identify and differentiate it from others. In this tutorial, we will guide you through the process of making a Discord server icon that stands out.
Choosing the Right Image
Before we dive into the technical aspects, it’s important to choose an image that reflects the theme or purpose of your Discord server. Whether it’s a gaming community, an art group, or simply a place for friends to hang out, you want your icon to be relevant and eye-catching. Consider using images that are visually appealing and have clear shapes or symbols that can be easily recognized even at smaller sizes.
Image Size and Format
Once you have selected the perfect image, it’s time to ensure it meets Discord’s requirements. Discord recommends using square images with a minimum size of 512×512 pixels.
This ensures that your icon looks sharp on all devices and platforms. Additionally, Discord supports various image formats such as JPEG, PNG, GIF, and BMP. However, for optimal quality and transparency support, we recommend using PNG format.
To create or edit your server icon, you can use any image editing software of your choice. If you don’t have access to professional tools like Photoshop or Illustrator, don’t worry! There are plenty of free online editors available such as Canva, Pixlr, or GIMP.
Canva is a user-friendly online design tool that offers pre-made templates and an extensive library of fonts and graphics.
- Create an account: Visit the Canva website and sign up for a free account if you don’t already have one.
- Choose a template: Once logged in, select the “Custom dimensions” option and set the width and height to 512 pixels.
- Upload your image: Click on the “Uploads” tab, then drag and drop your chosen image onto the canvas.
- Edit and customize: Canva provides various editing tools to enhance your image. You can apply filters, adjust brightness/contrast, add text, and more.
- Download your icon: Once you are satisfied with the result, click on the “Download” button to save your icon to your computer.
Pixlr is another popular online image editing tool that offers powerful features similar to Photoshop.
- Open Pixlr Editor: Visit the Pixlr website and choose the “Pixlr Editor” option from their menu.
- Create a new image: In Pixlr Editor, go to “File” > “Create New Image.” Set the width and height to 512 pixels.
- Add your image: Go to “File” > “Open Image,” then select your chosen image from your computer.
- Edit and customize: Pixlr Editor provides tools like cropping, resizing, adding text, applying effects, etc. Use these tools to enhance your icon as desired.
- Save your icon: Once you are done editing, go to “File” > “Save” or “Save As” to save your icon to your computer.
Setting the Discord Server Icon
Now that you have your perfectly crafted server icon, it’s time to set it as the icon for your Discord server.
- Open Discord: Launch the Discord application or visit the Discord website and log in to your account.
- Select your server: From the left sidebar, choose the server you want to update.
- Access server settings: Right-click on the server name or click on the down arrow next to it, then select “Server Settings. “
- Navigate to Server Overview: In the left sidebar of the Server Settings window, click on “Overview. “
- Change server icon: Under Server Overview, click on the current server icon.
A window will appear allowing you to upload a new image from your computer. Select your newly created icon and click “Open. “
- Save changes: Finally, click “Save Changes” at the bottom of the Server Overview window to apply your new server icon.
Creating a unique and appealing Discord server icon is an important step in establishing your server’s identity. By following this tutorial and utilizing online editing tools like Canva or Pixlr, you can easily design an icon that stands out.
Remember to choose a relevant image, meet Discord’s size and format requirements, and use editing tools wisely. With a captivating server icon in place, you’re ready to attract members and build an engaging community on Discord.