How Do I Change My pfSense DNS Server?
Changing the DNS server on your pfSense firewall is a straightforward process that can help improve your network’s performance and security. In this tutorial, we will walk you through the steps to change the DNS server settings on your pfSense device.
Step 1: Accessing the pfSense Web Interface
Before we begin, make sure you have access to the pfSense web interface. Open a web browser and enter the IP address of your pfSense device in the address bar. You will be prompted to enter your login credentials.
Step 2: Navigating to DNS Server Settings
Once logged in, navigate to Services > DNS Resolver. Here, you will find all the relevant settings related to DNS resolution.
Step 3: Changing Primary DNS Server
- To change the primary DNS server, scroll down to the DNS Server Settings section.
- In the General Settings, locate the field labeled Upstream DNS Servers.
- Type in the IP address of your desired primary DNS server.
- You can also specify multiple servers by separating them with a space or comma.
- Click on Save to apply the changes.
Step 4: Changing Secondary DNS Server (Optional)
- If you wish to set up a secondary DNS server, you can do so by scrolling down to the Custom Options section.
- In the Custom Options, locate the field labeled Server Override.
- Type in the IP address of your desired secondary DNS server.
- You can also specify multiple servers using the same format as before.
Step 5: Verifying DNS Server Changes
To verify that your DNS server changes have been applied successfully, you can perform a simple test. Open a command prompt or terminal window on a client device connected to your pfSense network and run the following command:
If the response shows your newly configured DNS server(s), then congratulations! You have successfully changed your pfSense DNS server settings.
Changing your pfSense DNS server is an essential step in optimizing network performance and security. By following the steps outlined in this tutorial, you should now have a better understanding of how to modify these settings within pfSense. Remember to save any configuration changes and thoroughly test your network after making modifications to ensure everything is functioning as expected.
We hope this tutorial has been helpful to you. If you have any further questions or need additional assistance, please don’t hesitate to reach out for support!