How Do I Archive an Entire Discord Server?
Discord is a popular communication platform used by gamers, communities, and businesses alike. It allows users to create servers, join different channels within those servers, and interact with others through text, voice, and video chat.
If you are an administrator or a member of a Discord server and want to preserve all the messages, media files, and other content for future reference or archival purposes, archiving the entire server is the way to go.
In this tutorial, we will guide you through the process of archiving an entire Discord server.
Step 1: Install BetterDiscord
In order to archive an entire Discord server, we will be using a third-party plugin called BetterDiscord. BetterDiscord enhances the functionality of Discord by adding additional features and customization options.
To install BetterDiscord:
- Step 1: Visit the official BetterDiscord website at https://betterdiscord.net/home/.
- Step 2: Download the installer for your operating system (Windows or macOS).
- Step 3: Run the installer and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
Step 2: Enable Developer Mode in Discord
In order to access certain settings needed for archiving a server, you need to enable Developer Mode in your Discord client. Here’s how:
- Step 1: Open your Discord client and click on the gear icon located at the bottom left corner of the screen. This will open your User Settings.
- Step 2: In the User Settings window, click on the Appearance tab located on the left sidebar.
- Step 3: Scroll down to the Advanced section and toggle on the Developer Mode.
Step 3: Access Server Settings
Now that you have enabled Developer Mode, you can access the server settings needed for archiving. Here’s how:
- Step 1: Right-click on the server name in your Discord sidebar. This will open a context menu.
- Step 2: From the context menu, select Server Settings. This will open the server settings window.
Step 4: Archiving Channels and Messages
In order to archive channels and messages within a Discord server, we will be utilizing BetterDiscord’s plugin called Server Archiver. Here’s how to use it:
- Step 1: In the server settings window, click on the BetterDiscord Plugins
- You may need to scroll down to find it.
- Note: If you don’t see BetterDiscord Plugins option in your server settings, make sure you have enabled Developer Mode and have installed BetterDiscord correctly. Restarting Discord may also help resolve any issues.
For Channel Archiving:
- Step 2: In the BetterDiscord Plugins window, locate and enable the Server Archiver plugin.
- Step 3: Once the plugin is enabled, go back to your server and right-click on the channel you want to archive.
- Step 4: From the context menu, select Archive Channel. The channel will be archived and its contents saved.
For Message Archiving:
- Note: In order to archive messages, you need to have appropriate permissions in the Discord server.
- Step 2: In the BetterDiscord Plugins window, locate and enable the Server Archiver plugin if you haven’t already done so.
- Step 3: Once the plugin is enabled, go back to your server and right-click on any message within a channel.
- Step 4: From the context menu, select Archive Messages. All messages within that channel will be archived and saved for future reference.
Congratulations! You have successfully archived an entire Discord server using BetterDiscord’s Server Archiver plugin.
You can repeat these steps for each channel or message you want to archive within your server.
This archival process ensures that all important conversations, media files, and other content are preserved for future use. Whether you want to keep a record of gaming strategies, community discussions, or business-related conversations, archiving a Discord server is a valuable practice.
Remember to always check the permissions and guidelines of Discord servers before archiving any content. Respect the privacy and consent of others while using such features.