Discord is a popular platform that allows users to communicate and collaborate with others in private or public servers. If you have created a private Discord server but now want to make it public, you might be wondering if it’s possible. In this tutorial, we will explore whether or not you can change a private Discord server to public and how to do it.
Understanding Private Discord Servers
Private Discord servers are exclusive spaces where only invited members can join and participate in conversations. These servers provide a secure environment where users can discuss various topics, share files, and engage in voice or video calls.
When you create a new Discord server, it is set to private by default. This means that only the people who have been invited by the server owner or administrators can access and join the server.
Can You Change a Private Server to Public?
The short answer is yes, you can change a private Discord server to public. However, it’s important to note that making your server public comes with certain implications.
Considerations Before Making Your Server Public
- Moderation: When you make your server public, anyone can join the server without an invitation. This means that you need to be prepared for potential trolls or spammers.
It’s important to have proper moderation tools and active moderators in place.
- Privacy: If your original intention was for the server to remain private, making it public means that anyone can see the conversations and content shared within the server. Ensure that all members are aware of this change before proceeding.
- User Management: With more members joining your public server, managing permissions and roles becomes crucial. Make sure you have well-defined roles and a system in place to handle new member requests.
Steps to Change a Private Discord Server to Public
If you have considered the implications and still want to change your private server to public, here are the steps to follow:
- Open Discord: Launch the Discord desktop or mobile app and log in to your account.
- Select Your Server: From the left sidebar, click on the server name that you want to make public.
- Server Settings: On the top-right corner of the screen, click on the server’s name to open a dropdown menu. From there, select “Server Settings. “
- Overview: In the left sidebar of the Server Settings menu, click on “Overview. “
- Privacy Settings: Scroll down until you find the “Privacy Settings” section.
- Change Privacy Level: By default, it will be set to “Private.”
Click on the dropdown arrow and select “Public” from the options.
- Confirm Changes: After selecting “Public,” a confirmation dialog box will appear. Review the implications mentioned earlier and ensure you are ready for them. If you still want to proceed, click on “Okay. “
Congratulations! You have successfully changed your private Discord server to public. Remember to adjust your moderation and user management strategies accordingly.
In this tutorial, we explored whether it is possible to change a private Discord server to public. We learned that while it is indeed possible, there are important considerations and implications that you need to be aware of before making the change. By following the steps provided, you can easily switch your private server to public and adapt your server management strategies accordingly.
Discord offers a flexible and customizable platform for communication and collaboration. Whether you choose to keep your server private or make it public, Discord provides the necessary tools to create engaging communities tailored to your needs.