Can You Add Non Friends to a Discord Server?
Discord is a popular communication platform for gamers, allowing them to connect with friends and like-minded individuals through servers. One question that often arises is whether it’s possible to add non-friends to a Discord server. In this article, we will explore this topic and provide you with all the information you need.
Understanding Discord Servers
Before we delve into the specifics, let’s first understand what Discord servers are. A Discord server is essentially a virtual space where users can gather and communicate. It consists of different channels that serve various purposes, such as text-based channels for discussions or voice channels for real-time conversations.
Adding Non Friends to a Discord Server
The short answer:
No, you cannot directly add someone who is not on your friends list to a Discord server.
The long answer:
Discord operates on an “invite-only” system when it comes to joining servers. This means that only those who have been invited by an existing member or have received an invite link can join a server. As a server owner or administrator, you have control over who can send invites.
Sending Invite Links
To invite someone who is not on your friends list to a Discord server, you need to generate an invite link. Here’s how:
- Open your Discord server and click on the dropdown arrow next to the server name.
- Select “Server Settings”.
- In the left sidebar, click on “Invites”.
- Click on the “Create Invite” button.
- A pop-up window will appear, allowing you to customize the invite settings.
- Specify the duration of the invite (e.g., never expire, expire after 24 hours).
- Choose the number of uses for the invite (e., unlimited, one-time use).
- Click on “Generate a new link”.
- Copy the generated link and share it with the person you want to invite.
When generating an invite link, ensure that you set appropriate permissions for the user. You can control their access to various channels and server features.
Joining a Server with an Invite Link
To join a Discord server using an invite link:
- Click on the invite link shared with you. This will open Discord in your browser or launch the Discord application if it’s installed on your device.
- If prompted, sign in to your Discord account or create a new one if you don’t have an existing account.
- A preview of the server will appear, showing its name and description. Click on “Join Server” to proceed.
- You will now be a member of the server and have access to its channels and features as per the permissions set by the server owner or administrator.
In summary, while you cannot directly add non-friends to a Discord server without an invitation, you can still invite them by generating invite links. This allows you to expand your server’s community and connect with individuals who share similar interests. Remember to set appropriate permissions for invited users to ensure a safe and enjoyable environment for everyone on your Discord server.
Discord’s invite system provides a secure way to control who can join your server, maintaining the integrity of your community. So go ahead and invite non-friends to your Discord server using the steps outlined in this article!