Can We Change Data Type in Derived Column SSIS?
In SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), the Derived Column transformation is a powerful tool used to modify and manipulate data within a data flow. It allows us to create new columns by applying expressions or functions to existing columns. While the Derived Column transformation is primarily used for transforming data, it also provides the capability to change the data type of a column.
Changing Data Type in Derived Column
The ability to change the data type of a column in the Derived Column transformation offers flexibility in handling different types of data within an SSIS package. To change the data type, follow these steps:
- Open your SSIS package in SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT) or Business Intelligence Development Studio (BIDS).
- Locate the Data Flow task that contains the Derived Column transformation.
- Double-click on the Derived Column transformation to open its editor window.
Adding a New Derived Column
If you haven’t already added a derived column, you can do so by clicking on the “Add Column” button in the Derived Column editor. This will open a new row where you can define the name and expression for your derived column.
Changing Data Type for an Existing Derived Column
If you already have an existing derived column and want to change its data type, locate the derived column in the editor and follow these steps:
- Select the derived column by clicking on it.
- In the Properties window, locate the “Data Type” property.
- Click on the dropdown list next to the “Data Type” property to see the available data types.
- Select the desired data type for your derived column.
Note: It is important to choose the appropriate data type that matches the requirements of your data. Choosing an incorrect or incompatible data type may result in data loss or unexpected behavior.
The Derived Column transformation in SSIS provides a convenient way to modify and manipulate data within a data flow. With its ability to change the data type of a column, it offers flexibility in handling different types of data. By following the steps outlined above, you can easily change the data type of a derived column in SSIS, ensuring that your data is transformed accurately and efficiently.